A very interesting speech of Malcolm Gladwell on stubbornness in below YouTube video.
He makes references to
- Linear B, i.e., historic greek symbols
- Michael Ventris, deciphering Linear B
- Andrew Wiles and his proof for Fermat’s Last Theorem, no integer solutions for ,
- Gerhard Frey, linking Taniyama–Shimura conjecture and Fermat’s Last Theorem
- the mismatch problem, i.e., finding the right personnel for a task given only information on some predictors, e.g., IQ-tests, height, grades, etc.
- the capitalization problem, i.e., making full use of the potential of personnel, and not squandering talent
Also see Malcolm Gladwell’s article on the Flynn effect: What I.Q. doesn’t tell you about race.
Importing calendar data to Google is still troublesome for a number of reasons. What seems to work goes like this:
- Force-stop calendar data in your Android phone
- Clear all calendar data in your Android phone
- Shut down your Android phone
- Log-off from all other Google accounts
- Shut down your browser (I am not sure whether this step is really necessary, but better safe)
- Fire up your browser once again and log-in to Google
- Import your data, see screenshot below (I use the iCalendar format)
I have two free invites for the OnePlus One. Below are the links:
Please do not click on the links if you do not want to actually buy the phone, because the invites are then reserved and cannot be used by others.
For a review of the phone see Review of the OnePlus One Smartphone.
Addendum 22-Mar-2015: Both invites unfortunately expired. So people clicked on it without actually wanting to buy a phone.
Abstract. This article will give a very simple definition of -forms or differential forms. It just requires basic knowledge about matrices and determinants. Furthermore a very simple proof will be given for the proposition that the double outer differentiation of -forms vanishes.
MSC 2010: 58A10
1. Basic definitions.
We denote the submatrix of consisting of the rows and the columns with
For testing purposes you may want to provoke a file-size error. Here are the steps. Open a new
xterm. Set a file-size limit with
ulimit, then write a file with
ulimit -f 1
dd bs=1 iflag=count_bytes count=5000 if=/dev/zero of=yourFile
The resulting error is
File size limit exceeded (core dumped)
just as expected.
Below chart is taken from Stress That Doesn’t Pay: The Commuting Paradox, August 2004, page 30. The data is per 2000/2001.
The above document links these numbers with reported satisfaction with life — longer commuting times means less happiness.
On Ubuntu install with:
apt-get install gnupg
First generate private and public key:
Generating this key can take some time, because it needs enough randomness.
Store your public key in a file:
gpg -a --export
Although it is not necessary to store this public key, you usually will provide this public key to other people, see for example my public key.
Import public keys from other people by
gpg --import my-friend.pub
Now encrypt a message for my-friend:
gpg -aers my-friend your-file
These options have the following effect:
-a: create base64 encoded output (“ASCII armored”). This is not necessary, so you can skip this option. If skipped the output is binary.
-r: recipient, here your-friend
-s: add signature. This is not necessary. You could drop this option from above.
Decrypting a file is the easiest part. Just type